Difficulties and Plans
It will not be out of place if I were to state very frankly that Subhas Babu was greatly handicapped on account of very bad arrangements his friends made for him to contact the Russian Legation. The language difficulty was another trouble. Even Rahmat Khan was as good a stranger as Subhas Babu. With great difficulty they could locate the Russian Legation but it was not possible to enter the Legation. So they resorted to an uncertain way of contacting the Russian Ambassador. When the Russian Ambassador's car passed by near the Legation Rahmat Khan waved his hand. The car stopped and Rahmat Khan told the Ambassador that Subhas Chandra Bose was with him. In broken Persian Rahmat Khan tried to explain the whole thing. But the Ambassador was not prepared to believe the story. The chances of falling into the hands of the Afghan Police began to loom large. Then Rahmat Khan managed to enter the Italian Legation and told Signor Karoni [Quaroni] the Charge-de-Affaires all about Subhas Babu. Signor Karoni [Quaroni] was mightily pleased to hear of the presence of Subhas Babu in Kabul and promised to send him to Rome or Berlin. He also fixed up the meeting place at the residence of a German living in Kabul. Herr Thomas was the German where Rahmat Khan was to receive a message.
Rahmat Khan went to Herr Thomas on the appointed day where he found a letter from Signor Karoni [Quaroni]. The contents of the letter were very encouraging as Berlin and Rome expressed great pleasure at the news of arrival of Subhas Babu and Signor Karoni [Quaroni] had orders to help him.
In order to avoid any possible suspicion it was decided that I should take messages to Herr Thomas instead of Rahmat Khan. I was a declared Radio-dealer and could go anywhere, and Rahmat Khan was in danger of being spotted by the Lahori Darwaza C.I.D. man. I carried a message from Subhas Babu to Herr Thomas who had to transfer that letter to the Italian Legation. I was informed that Herr Thomas had no message to give.
Leave a Reply